Victorian Open Bookcase with Carved Corbels
Traditional and stylish Victorian Open Bookcase with four adjustable shelves (can be ordered with extra shelf if required). This mahogany bookcase has some interesting carved features. Down each side there are carved grooves or fluting giving some definition to the edges. Above this and each side are carved mahogany corbels standing proud of the main body. These are perhaps the most distinctive feature. More detailed carving in the form of a castle turret pattern runs along the front edge of the cornice.
Height: 210 Width: 110 Depth: 45 (sizes are approximate).
- Timber is sourced from government controlled, sustainable plantations.
- Hand crafted in mahogany using traditional cabinet making techniques.
- Use of panelling gives a wonderfully decorative and stylish appearance but is also an excellent cabinet making practice.
- Furniture built with the extensive use of mortise, tenon, dovetail, and tongue & groove joints.
- Construction of our mahogany range is mainly solid mahogany but we also use selected flame or swirl mahogany veneers for panelling and large table tops.
- Hand stained in a variety of rich mahogany colours. Or a choice of painted, durable finishes.
- Final preparation – hand polished with beeswax (unless a painted finish is chosen) and buffed to bring out the depth and richness of the grain.
- Handles and fitting are solid brass. Choice of either polished or antique finish. Customers may also request wooden handles when appropriate.
- This item can be made to measure to any size – please ask for a quote.
- Assembly: Minor assembly required to insert shelves.
Each piece of mahogany furniture that is made to order is constructed by hand for you. It is then hand sanded and finished in the colour of your choice. It is unique to you, in other words no other piece of furniture exists that is exactly the same.
Of course this does mean it takes time to make our furniture and our lead times are longer than mass produced, machine made furniture – however we believe it is well worth the wait!