Louis XV French 4 Poster Bed
A very grand 4 poster bed in the French style with substantial bed posts that support a panelled canopy. The corners of the bed are sumptuously carved and the feet are carbriole shaped. The headboard is panelled and topped with a lovely hand carved design.
The mahogany posts are tapered going upwards and are turned top and bottom. The canopy sides are hand carved with floral design – this bed is certainly very imposing and stately looking.
Additional images below are of the bed under construction, in the raw mahogany and before finishing. Click the pictures to see more detail of the carving.
Bed Dimensions (approx)
Overall Canopy Height: 246 cm.
The overall width and length are determined by the mattress size but typically add 10 cm to 15 cm to take account of the thickness of side rails or head and foot board. If space is tight please ask before ordering.
- Timber is sourced from government controlled, sustainable plantations.
- Hand crafted in mahogany using traditional cabinet making techniques.
- Use of panelling gives a wonderfully decorative and stylish appearance but is also an excellent cabinet making practice.
- Furniture built with the extensive use of mortise, tenon, dovetail, and tongue & groove joints.
- Construction of our mahogany range is mainly solid mahogany but we also use selected flame or swirl mahogany veneers for panelling and large table tops.
- Hand stained in a variety of rich mahogany colours. Or a choice of painted, durable finishes.
- Final preparation – hand polished with beeswax (unless a painted finish is chosen) and buffed to bring out the depth and richness of the grain.
- Handles and fitting are solid brass. Choice of either polished or antique finish. Customers may also request wooden handles when appropriate.
- This item can be made to measure to any size – please ask for a quote.
- Assembly: Delivery in sections – assembly required.
Bespoke Carving Option:
Your Own Initials; Specialist Carvings or Coat of Arms
Would you like to have your initials or even your coat of arms expertly carved on this bed in the position and size of your choice. We can also personalise your bed with a carving of your choice on the head or foot board. In fact you can have this done on all our furniture so its not restricted to just beds although this seems to be the most popular! Pictures below show a couple of examples of personalised beds with coat of arms and initials.
Each piece of mahogany furniture that is made to order is constructed by hand for you. It is then hand sanded and finished in the colour of your choice. It is unique to you, in other words no other piece of furniture exists that is exactly the same.
Of course this does mean it takes time to make our furniture and our lead times are longer than mass produced, machine made furniture – however we believe it is well worth the wait!