The Finishing Process
Mahogany is a valuable and precious wood. The mahogany we use is plantation grown, regulated and licenced. It takes some 30 years to grow a mahogany tree and then if its hand crafted into a stunning piece of furniture it certainly deserves a high quality and careful finishing process. This will bring out the woods natural beauty and will last the discerning owner many, many years, in fact a lifetime.
The 11 Step Finishing Process
These are the 11 Steps of finishing all our hand made furniture goes through before it is wrapped ready for shipping and final delivery to your home.
1. Furniture is sanded using a three grades of sanding paper – 150, 240, 320 grit
2. One coat of filler is applied and allowed to fully dry.
3. Sanded agian using 400 grit
4. Rubbed with fine grade steel wool to get an ultra smooth finish.
5. Hand stained in the customers choice of colour.
6. First coat of sanding sealer applied by spray and allowed to harden then cut back with fine steel wool.
7. Second coat of sanding sealer, again cut back with steel wool
8. Fine colour toning by spray – a skilled process to produce a consistent colour time after time.
9. Matt, semi gloss or full gloss nitrocellulose lacquer top coat is applied by spray and allowed to fully harden then de-nibbed with fine steel wool.
10. Hand waxed and buffed to bring out the depth of colour and grain.
This is a time consuming process but to produce wonderful furniture to grace our homes and be admired year after year it is necessary – of course our furniture takes time to produce but our customers say it worth the wait.